Sunday, July 8, 2012

Banana Nut French Toast Bake

I woke up this morning and just had this idea on my heart of wanting to try something different, yet quick and easy for breakfast.  I've made blueberry french toast bakes before, and strawberry, but not banana.  Shawn has been on a banana nut kick lately and I made some really yummy muffins last week so I thought I'd try to whip up some banana nut french toast this morning.  Admittedly, I didn't actually measure anything, but I'll make a fairly decent guess on amounts for the recipe below. 

6-7 slices of whole wheat bread
8 ounces of cream cheese (I used homemade - so basically just plain yogurt that's been drained)
4 eggs
2 bananas
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup of crushed walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.  Cut bread slices into cubes and put half into a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.  Dollop on small spoonfuls of cream cheese.  Top with remaining bread.  Peel 2 ripe bananas and put into a bowl.  Mash them up really well with a fork.  Add the eggs and milk and mix together really well.  Pour over the bread and cream cheese.  Use your fork to gently push any floating bread pieces down into the egg/banana mixture until everything is wet.  Top with walnuts.  Cover and bake 40 minutes.  Remove cover and bake another 20 minutes.  This should NOT be jiggly in the middle.  If it is, bake a bit longer.

Top with your favorite maple syrup.

This was a huge hit this morning!  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment